Samsung has finally unwrapped its flagship Galaxy smartphones. The Galaxy S7 was one of the cutting-edge tech piece announced at its Galaxy Unpacked 2016 event this Febuary in Barcelona.
The Galaxy S7 is equipped with a 5.1-inch Quad HD (2560×1440 pixels) 577 PPI Super AMOLED display, similar to the Galaxy S6, but this has always-on feature. It is powered by a Quad-Core Snapdragon 820 or Exynos 8 Octa 8890 processor depending on the market, runs on Android 6.0 (Marshmallow), has a 12-megapixel rear camera with LED flash, OIS and a 5-megapixel front-facing camera. The Dual pixel rear camera promises brighter and sharper images, even in low light.
It has 3D glass and metal design and IP68 ratings water and dust resistance. It also has internal cooling system that keeps the device from overheating. It has hybrid dual SIM support that lets you use the second slot as a expansion slot when required.
Interested in picking up a new Samsung smartphone? Here’s what you need to know.
Samsung Galaxy S7 specifications
- 5.1-inch Quad HD (2560×1440 pixels) 577 PPI Super AMOLED always-on, pressure sensitive display
- Quad-Core Snapdragon 820 processor / Octa-Core Exynos 8 Octa 8890 (2.3GHz Quad + 1.6GHz Quad) processor
- 4GB LPDDR4 RAM, 32/64GB internal memory, expandable memory up to 200GB with microSD
- Android 6.0 (Marshmallow)
- Hybrid SIM (nano + nano / microSD)
- 12MP rear camera with LED Flash, f/1.7 aperture, Smart OIS
- 5MP front-facing camera, f/1.7 aperture
- Heart rate sensor, Fingerprint sensor, Barometer
- IP68 ratings water and dust resistance
- Dimensions: 142.4 x 69.6 x 7.9mm; Weight: 152g
- 4G LTE, Wi-Fi 802.11ac, Bluetooth 4.2 LE, GPS with GLONASS, USB 2.0, NFC
- 3000mAh battery, Fast Charging both on wired and wireless (WPC and PMA) charging
Free Gear VR
This year there’s an added incentive to preorder the Galaxy S7 and Galaxy S7 Edge. Samsung will offer itsheadset, which usually costs $100, for free for users who pre-order either device. However, this offer is for select countries.
You can purchase the Galaxy S7 in Black Onyx or Gold Platinum. Samsung announced that the phone will come in 32GB, 64GB and 128GB models. At this time, however, U.S. carriers haven’t released pricing or release information for the larger capacity models.
Galaxy S7 is equipped with a microSD card slot, which lets you add up to an additional 200GB of storage for a relatively low price.
Galaxy S7 Release Date: When and where
The Galaxy S7 and Galaxy S7 Edge will be available on Friday, March 11, with pre-orders set to begin on Tuesday, February 23.
Samsung Galaxy S7 pricing (32GB model)
|AT&T Next 24 (30 months)||$23.17/month|
|AT&T full retail||$695|
|Sprint installment plan (24 months)||$27.09/month|
|Sprint Galaxy Forever plan* (24 months)||$25.99/month|
|Sprint two-year contract (Best Buy)||$199|
|Sprint full retail||$650|
|T-Mobile installment plan (24 months)**||$27.92/month|
|T-Mobile full retail**||$670|
|Verizon Edge (24 months)||$28/month|
|Verizon two-year contract (Best Buy)||$229|
|Verizon full retail||$672|
|U.S. Cellular installment plan (24 months)||$28/month|
|U.S. Cellular two-year contract||$199|
|U.S. Cellular full retail||$672|
* Sprint’s “Galaxy Forever” plan allows users to lease the Galaxy S7 and upgrade to a new Samsung Galaxy smartphone after 12 months.
** T-Mobile is offering customers who preorder the Galaxy S7 a free year of Netflix.